Monday, December 3, 2007

Day at the LSJ

Thinking about it, my afternoon at the LSJ turned out to be fairly depressing. The newsroom was struggling - not many seemed to really be into their job, except for the new guy who does multimedia, and there was a lot of complaining about menial pay and crap equipment (which is probably common in newsrooms).

Of course, there will always be an LSJ, at least for a while, but there lacked some serious excitement.

Are these newsrooms just step-up positions for young reporters looking for the cool job? What about the veterans there - are they just waiting on a pension?

It really made me think deeply about what I want to do with a journalism degree. I don't want to be a bitter sap 10 years from now wishing I had a "cool" job.

1 comment:

Alison Costello said...

My experience at the LSJ also left me wondering about my future as a journalist. Nothing exciting was happening, most of the reporters seemed old and bored, and the woman I shadowed suggested I look elsewhere for work.