Wednesday, November 21, 2007

A Job Shadow to Remember

Since Crystal and Chris decided to write about their job shadows, I choose to jump on the bandwagon and say a little about mine. I shadowed Emily Smith a staff writer at NOISE magazine. We had been emailing each other for weeks but could never get a good time to meet each other, so I thought I would have to switch people last minute, but one week we realized our schedules completely worked together and so we set up times that I could visit her at NOISE...which is inside the Lansing State Journal building in downtown Lansing.

When I got there, there were the two secretaries who asked me who I was here to see, and as soon as they paged her Emily came right down to greet me. She asked if I was ready to go? Go? I just got there and she wanted me to go? But to find out, Emily and I were going shopping for the NOISE gift guide issue!!! Least to say I was excited. Before we went shopping we grabbed some lunch at Olga's (which she paid for with that lovely company card), and informed me that she would be writing a review of them in her blog and to watch out for it. Check out there blog anyways, it's nice.
http://noise.typepad.com/noise_blog/2007/11/once-again-its.html

After lunch we went to about five stores, grabbing all sorts of items, including a serving tray, jeans and a salts around the world gift set...oh yeah bring on the sodium! Anyways, to include the whole day would take forever but the whole day was a great experience. I was most impressed with was her professionalism. She went into the stores not to shop for herself but to find what the reader might like, she quickly identified herself and who she spoke with earlier to keep a good relationship with the people she ultimately needed to help her with job. She had her business cards handy willing to give it to anyone who asked, just in case they weren't sure she was legitimate.

She was though, she was the real deal. Everything I expected a young writer to be, Emily exceeded my expectations. We are already talking about when I can shadow her again. All in all, I highly recommend it because experience is something that can't be imitated. I hope everyone had as fun a time with the people they shadowed as I did!

1 comment:

Sue Burzynski Bullard said...

Sounds like a good experience. I can't wait to hear more about it in class!