Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Why not? Job Shadow story

Its a short story. I went to downtown Detroit to The Detroit News building downtown. Beautiful building, but thats not the point.
I've only been in a few newsrooms in my life. The Dearborn Press & Guide has a decent sized newsroom. Everybody has a cubicle, a few are empty, waiting for interns to fill them. A few sections have their own offices where the few writers that work the section do their business.
The State News' newsroom is a bit larger than Dearborn's, with plenty of space for everyone to work.
So when I went downtown, obviously I was expecting it to be a little larger than two smaller newspapers. When I first walked in I saw a good sized newsroom, something the size of both papers I've worked at combined with another newsroom or two thrown in for good luck. Big, just what I was expecting.
However, as I walked back to the business desk, where I shadowed, the newsroom found a way to keep growing. In fact, there was another section of the newsroom roughly the same size of the first part thrown in the back. That was what threw me off. It was impressive.
I guess that's when you know you hit the big time.

No comments: