Friday, March 21, 2008

Celebrity Journalism

I admit it. I am a gossip column/blog reader. I am. I check for who is dating who, who is pregnant, who is shaving their head. No, I am not investing my emotions into it, it is merely a form of entertainment I guess. My question is, is it a career? IS reporting on celebrities journalism? I raise this question because of an internship posting I saw on the website www.ed2010.com, which I frequently visit. It is for a teen magazine, and they want applicants to explain their interest in celebrity news as a main criteria for consideration. I just had a hard time believing this was a job description. Being a journalism major nowadays can be hard enough when people lump you into the category of tabloid writers, but should we be encouraging the growth of it as a main form of journalism? I say, keep it to the blogs like Perez, where it can stay entertainment, but perhaps keep the gossip out of magazines for young teens.

1 comment:

Josh Dutt said...

I agree, but maybe just because I'm sick of hearing about all this gossip everywhere I turn.