Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Reaching for a Story

I recently read a story by Jemele Hill on ESPN's Page 2 about LeBron James' image on the cover of Vogue magazine. Hill argued that the picture is somehow racist. The cover isn't racist at all and I feel like Jemele is trying to make something about race when it clearly isn't. I find it to be a bit of a double standard that she calls this picture racist, but in a previous story she compares New England Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick to Rap Producer, inmate, and alleged murderer Suge Knight, even annointing him "Suge Belichick". Is she then being racist to Belichick comparing him to a man like Suge Knight? A good portion of what Hill writes for ESPN and says on air for the same station makes me a little embarrassed to call her an alumni of Michigan State. Granted some of what she writes and says is intelligent well written material, but it only takes one bad decision or one hilariously misinterpreted photo to make a writer unreadable to me. Of course maybe I would have let this one slide had I not already had a diminishing opinion of Hill to begin with.

No comments: