Thursday, March 13, 2008

The early journalist catches the job.

Since I changed my major from political science to journalism over two years ago, I thought it was too late. To become an established and published writer seemed to be a lofty goal after spending almost three years doing everything but. I had ambitions of being lawyer until I realized that writing and journalism was my calling. After that first advising meeting within journalism, once I realized how behind I was, I felt like running to the top of an adjacent parking structure and screaming my lungs out. So I propose the question, when is too late to get published and get into your career? Recruiter Joe Grimm from the Detroit Free Press suggests that its never too late. But if its all about where you end up and not when you start, what happens when you're at the helm of graduation looking for a job? What happens when you're a post-grad struggling to make ends meat, because you started later in gaining the necessary experience. I think this is why J-School's need to stress publishing and internships earlier on in the world of journalism. There will only be so much that is available when life's complications butt heads with learning as much as possible. I've heard people say, the only way to acheive your big dreams is to pack-up and move to the big city racking up charges on a credit card in order to live. I for one refuse to go in debt just to pursue my love for writing. No one can give journalists a play-by-play blueprint on how to become successful. But I think good advice falls along the lines of starting early. Starting early means ability to cover different types of reporting, growing in your writing and gaining varieties of experience. Waiting too late could mean struggling to catch up. Nothing is impossible but shedding advice to young'n journalists and writers will help them out in the long run.

No comments: