Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Cedar Fest coverage

MSU has been adding to their party school reputation. Weekend reports from Cedar Fest with students being tear gassed and police being hit by bottles have made national news, and even reached as far as China. This seems like just another news story, especially coming from MSU, but it really annoys me.
I was not at Cedar Fest. I am not a party-goer. I came here for the academics and despise the dorm halls on Thursday nights when everyone gets crazy, and I am trying to sleep for my Friday morning classes. I realize I came to a party school, but I am beginning to feel concerned that the riots my classmates start will harm me later. 
A Facebook.com group promoting the pride in getting tear gassed at Cedar Fest angers me, or what angers me more is that when I did a group search for "I got gassed," I found 17 groups with the same pride, 10 of those coming from MSU. One comment on a group even said, "chills and thrills baby, MSU never disappoints." 
Watching the local news last night, I was pleased to see interviews with students who like me, are embarrassed by what happened this past weekend. Since when was it something to be proud of? When you graduate and are working for a big company, will you be flaunting the fact that you were part of such an act? It seems like a popularity contest, anyone who is anyone was there.
There are 263 YouTube videos with Cedar Fest tags. Watch a couple. Anyone proud?

No comments: