Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Vogue Shape Issue has surprising, refreshing content

When I first heard about the Vogue "Shape Issue" I was intrigued. A fashion magazine talking about athletes? I thought it was an interesting topic. When looking through the photographs of Annie Liebowitz, I thought they were, as always, beautiful and thought-provoking. I thought the point of the photo spread showcased the definition of an ideal, and how it can change based on a person's interests or activities. To show a model weighing under 130 pounds as perfect for her job next to a 300 pound weightlifter shows how every body is ideal, no matter how it looks. Strength has many definitions. What was also refreshing to me, was the message of supporting every size. With the controversy over dangerously-thin models last year, editor in chief Anna Wintour spoke out about casting healthier models. For me, picking up America's major fashion magazine and seeing ads with full figured women and a teaser on the cover for dressing sizes up to 16 was refreshing, and I can only hope the fashion industry will continue to branch out to include all sizes, more than just one issue out of 12.

No comments: