Saturday, April 12, 2008

'March 31, 2008, Baby!!! That is How You Jump Over an Aston Martin'

So while I was at work Friday night into Saturday morning, I decided to look up stuff on YouTube because work is cruel and unusually long and I came across this video of some athlete, namely Kobe Bryant, who apparently decides to jump an Aston Martin to show off his stupid new shoes then running to the camera and screaming: "March 31, 2008, Baby!!! That is How You Jump Over an Aston Martin"



The Bleacher Report said this video was originally released on his own website, kb24.com, Thursday. It became an almost instant hit on Youtube.

But, here is the thing: it shouldn't be news, at all. Really, it shouldn't be. Woohoo! He went and jumped the freaking British equivalent of a Ford Mustang in some funky new featherweight shoe to show me just how ugly they are. YAY! for him.

After the horrific sight of the shoes wore off, this thought slowly crept into mind: "How in the hell did he do that? He is lying, thats fake!" For the next few minutes, I thought I was the only one thinking that there was small probability that Robin, I mean, *cough* *cough* Mr. Bryant could probably pull a stunt like that off alone (key word: ALONE).

I mean, who does that in their spare time?

I thought that maybe I was skeptical because of my obvious dislike for the guy until I saw stories popping up everywhere about this video and it's questionable content: Autoblog, The Bleacher Report and even Yahoo featured it on their "front page" as news.

There is nothing that makes it news but for the questions that circle the video's credibility. This iffy commercial could turn out to be one of the best ad campaign for a nike shoe in a long while.

This video was the best idea because it get people interested and makes it stick in your head because of the outrageousness of it. This really will make people go buy the shoe because they can say "I saw these on YouTube yesterday and now I have a pair."

In so many ways I want to say this video, although cool, is getting way too much coverage. The only possible reason this video is newsy-ish (and that's a big ish) is because of the 'unique' quality of it which you have to look at it in this sense: it isn't every day that you get to see NBA players jumping cars to advertise their shoe.

No comments: